Sunday, February 13, 2011

Red is Best

I love red!
Anything scarlet or poppy or cherry,
Anything crimson or claret or ruby,
Yes, I love red!

There is something you should know about me; for years I have had a love affair with red.  If you haven't already noticed, I have a lot of red in my house.  I didn't plan to use so much red- it just happened!

A few years ago I painted my dining room red and I still love it!

A corner of my dining room

My house has red in the area carpets, red cushions, red accessories and now, red plaid kitchen chairs

Red in my living room
It's really fun to decorate using your favorite colors!




Last summer when I wanted new bedding, I searched online and in stores for weeks and weeks.  I couldn't find a single thing I really liked until I found this beautiful red quilt.  I bought it even though sleep experts advise us to limit red in the bedroom because it apparently interferes with sleep, but guess what....I sleep just fine!

Our master bedroom



Oh, I like neutrals, and I love the look of all white rooms- sometimes shown with a bit of beautiful blue.  Gorgeous!

But there's just something about red that makes me sit up and take notice. Red is vibrant and warm and cozy.  From late fall until spring red is an exhilarating shot of color when everything outside seems very blah.

There are a few rooms in my house that don't have red, which I guess is a good thing- I don't want to become too predictable!  My children get to decide the colors in their rooms and none of them chose red.  Also, the bathrooms are neutral because I'm vain enough to want accurate lighting and subdued colors while I'm looking in the mirror!

I often think about a children's story I used to read to my kids called Red is Best by Kathy Stinson.  It's a cute story about a little girl named Kelly who loves red.  Her mom tries to get her to experiment with other colors but doesn't have any luck.  Kelly says she likes red "because red is best" and "red puts singing in my head".



Yes...I know how she feels.  At the risk of sounding like a loony bird, red puts singing in my head too!