Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Painted Pots

Last week while Mr. StyleBurb sanded and re-stained our back deck,


I dragged out my spray paint booth to give our mismatched flower pots a fresh look for summer.

I know...  you want one too!
Our flower pots were a mixture of colors and styles- some plastic and some terra cotta. I decided that the best thing would be to unify them with a few coats of soft black paint. We have black outdoor furniture and I love the way black looks with our taupe deck stain.  I used Rust-oleum's oil rubbed bronze spray paint that says it can be used on "wood, metal, plastic, masonry... and more."

Clearly I didn't plan to paint our flower pots when I put annuals in this big planter a month ago!


 Our flowers had to spend an afternoon covered up with a garbage bag.


But everything worked out ok, and I think the planter looks very sharp!


 I've had this large terra cotta pot in my garage for years.


 Now it's holding my tomato plant.  I even have tomatoes!


Every year we buy hanging baskets from the garden center and every year the plastic pots are different colors and shapes.  We have quite a collection.

I removed the hanging apparatus, wiped them down and spray painted a few of these plastic pots as well.


I didn't prime anything I painted- I barely cleaned off the cobwebs- and I have no idea how long the paint finish will last, but I'm really pleased with how they look right now.


This green plastic pot won't make it through another summer- there's a hole in the back...


...but it looks better black, too. I wish my flowers looked a little healthier. I'm hoping they'll fill in and hide the green rim.
 

I bought some double bloom pink impatiens that needed to be re-potted, so I bought a few of these little cheapy guys at the dollar store.


I spray painted them gloss white and hot glued on some cute lady bug buttons I found at Michaels.

Again, I don't know what is going on with my flowers- they look a little sick. 


If they don't start looking prettier soon, I'm going to spray paint them as well!

I really want to show you how my deck looks, so I'm working on that post next.