Thursday, July 7, 2011

Farmers' Market Gazpacho

The weather on the weekend was magnificent and I finally made a trip to the Farmers' Market.  The local strawberries are in season and they taste so good!


This is probably the last week for local asparagus, and now tomatoes, snap peas and zucchini are ready.



Soon the rest of the fruit and vegetables grown here will ripen, and I can't wait. In the meantime, the Farmers' Market had some hot house produce and local-ish veggies for sale.


I bought everything I need to make gazpacho - which is a summer time favorite at our house.


Mr. StyleBurb and I love my gazpacho recipe so much that when our 20 year old food processor broke, we replaced it right away with this new fancier version.

Over the years I have tweaked  my recipe for gazpacho until it tasted perfect to us. The aroma of all the fresh veggies is like summer in bowl!

My recipe is really simple.

- whiz 3 cloves of garlic and one small red onion in your food processor
- add in 2 ripe tomatoes, 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper (seeds removed) and 1 large cucumber
- pulse several times to chop everything into bits
- add 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and about 1 cup of vegetable cocktail
- add 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of fresh black pepper

- pulse until you have the consistency you like
- add more vegetable cocktail if you want a thinner soup

Chill the soup for several hours before serving. I like to top our gazpacho with croutons and I always serve Tabasco sauce on the side.  Mr. StyleBurb likes it spicy!



Delicious!